Twitter Goes Wild After Watch Contagion Movie | Top 30 Comments
A text was revolving around the social media on Sunday advising South Africans to watch the movie contagion on SABC 3 channel. It was clear that the movie had an impact on my south African judging by the reaction they had on social media platforms.
Contagion is a 2011 American thriller film directed by Steven Soderbergh. The film, inspired by pandemics such as the 2002–2004 SARS outbreak and the 2009 flu pandemic, depicts the spread of a virus transmitted by fomites, attempts by medical researchers and public health officials to identify and contain the disease and the loss of social order in the face of a pandemic. It also shows the introduction of a vaccine to halt its spread.
The film also stars an ensemble cast in the form of Marion Cotillard, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Bryan Cranston, Jennifer Ehle, and Sanaa Lathan.
Some people found the movie scary while others felt like COVID-19 was a conspiracy. Moreover, many were amazed by how similar the movie was with the situation we currently face. In fact, many highlighted that they don’t want the vaccine to tested in Africa.
Below are the top 30 comments we sampled from twitter.
- Tsholo Moyo said watching contagion feels like real life now. it’s like were are looking at a snapshot of our past and future at the same time.
- Ronawa Mathepe made a comment about how the coronavirus situation just got serious for most people. The picture shows a person wearing full protection covering the whole body to avoid contamination.
- Black Prince L tried to make a point that most people are scared and concerned now after watching the movie. He compared the emotional level of people watching contagion and Uyajola 99. Those who are watching Uyajola 99 looked very happy and unworried about life compared to Contagion.
- Nyikoo Prince showed his concern about the burning of buying alcohol during the COVID-19. He highlighted that he didn’t see that part in the movie and he was still waiting. This goes to show how frustrated many South Africans are about the ban on alcohol.
- Kulanicool mentioned the danger of the virus and how deadly it was. This is to show how dangerous the virus could be.
- Bakgatla Digital Printing raised a valid point by mentioning how this movie united us a country. He said it was the first time all South Africans are watching the same movie at the same time. Truly it was history in the making.
- Siya Samkela was concerned about the COVID-19 vaccine to be tested in Africa. So, he highlighted that even if they show us the movie to scare them about the virus, they will not accept the vaccine to be tested on Africans.